Monday, March 3, 2014

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night - Dylan Thomas

In the poem " Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night" by Dylan Thomas, he describes that when old men at the last day of their lives should hold death as hardly as they could, and he thinks that death can be fought. He thinks that it's honorable for a great man to die in old age. He mentioned at the end of the poem that his father is dying.


I think this is a sad poem that I agree with because when death comes, nothing will stop it. Also the feeling of this poem evokes the sad feeling that is deep seated inside the poet's heart and that what I like about it. I think that death can't be fought by anything.


I learned new vocabulary, such as, rage, grieve, and frail. Rage means furious or anger. The meaning of the grieve is to be sad. Frail means weak.



http://allpoetry.com/poem/8451903-Do-Not-Go-Gentle-Into-That-Good-Night-by-Dylan-Thomas

4 comments:

  1. Death is a dark thing that we all shall experience. It is really sad to read such poem. Even though it contained some really difficult words, the meaning was obvious from the sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your poem Zaid, even although, I don't understand most of the poems,I really like yours and I understood it well; when I read it at the website. Your choice is excellent, and you summarize it very well. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zaid! you read same poem as me! I have read this poem too! yea this poem is sad. We can know by using sad,dark and death. I read this poem's explaintion. It says the author has written when his dad was getting a blind. It is so sad! isn't it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful poem about a sad, difficult topic. The writer's love for his father and feeling of helplessness is very apparent. At first I thought it was only about the writer's father dying, but then I read the note at the bottom of the poem.

    ReplyDelete